Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Marj Evasco and My Cell Phone


The cell phone is a practical tool. It gets your message out to the intended receiver/s fast. Citizen reporters use it effectively as shown in the CNN program “I Report.” But in the hands of poet Marjorie Evasco, this small mass communication tool is a vehicle for poetry.
Every now and then, especially on full-moon nights, I would receive from her messages such as this latest one:
The last full moon of the old lunar year is risen! Happy Full Moon!
“Coming from darkness
I shall enter on a path
Of greater darkness.
Shine on me from the distance,
Moon at the edge of the mount.”
--Izumi Shikibu
I never quite know how to reply to a message in verse. I just store the poem in my phone and look at and read it every now and then.
Thank you, Marj, for putting poetic images in something as utilitarian as a cell phone. Photo courtesy of Corporacion de Arte y Poesia Prometeo

1 comment:

padma said...

Me too! I want to say thank you too, Marj, for the gems you share with us via sms.