Tuesday, August 25, 2009

The Baguio We Know


Coming soon at a National Bookstore (NBS) or PowerBooks branch near you: The Baguio We Know, a collection of essays by 15 writers, most of whom are residents of this highland city. Edited by drinking pardner Grace Subido, this Anvil book features reminiscences, vignettes, historical accounts, recipes that define a Baguio that is evergreen in everyone's minds. Unlike the template volume that came before it, The Manila We Knew, this one, the editor insisted, must carry the verb in its present tense. And we agree on that score.

No matter how visitors disparage the city for having lost the scent of pine and its hill-station charm, longtime residents like Cecile Afable, Nonnette Bennett, Merci Dulawan, Priscilla Supnet Macansantos, Baboo Mondonedo, Padmapani Perez, among others, will stake a pair of kitschy gigantic wooden spoon and fork in defending Baguio's indisputable place in their personal and the country's affections.

The book will be lauched on Sept. 2, Wednesday, at 6 p.m. at the NBS branch in SM City Baguio.

1 comment:

anton joaquin said...

As a seven year old riding my favorite horse at Burnham, summer in Baguio City was everything I loved and still love. The mmment I smelled the scent of ;pines as my father drove up to Baguio I knew I was going to be its lover, and I did spend special moments as consltant to a gold mining firm, and as close friend of a wonderful Baguio family, and even a brief stint as high school teacher at St. Louis University. Baguio is my Camelot forever.