Monday, September 14, 2009

The Woman Who Would Not Be Dame Vanessa


Today I'll do a Frank Cimatu by posting a photo and a short paragraph, barely a story. Just follow these links: http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/story/redgrave-honoured-in-london_1115359
http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/story/redgraves-secret-dating-past_1115847

"If I think of a woman of truth, of loyalty, of integrity, of passion, of compassion, a woman with a great heart and a woman of all elements, I think of Vanessa Redgrave."--Ralph Fiennes in presenting Harper's Bazaar's Women of the Year award to Vanessa Redgrave

Suffice it to say I've followed her from Camelot to Evening and all the pictures, teledramas, news items and films in between. How she met up again with her ex, Franco Nero, is straight out of the lyrics of "If Ever I Would Leave You."

Somewhere in my files and unopened boxes is a photo of her marching on a London street and taking up the Palestinian cause. I can't think of an actor who comes close to her. Magic Meryl maybe?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Vanessa was great doing Joan Didion's "Year Of Magical Thinking" adaptation into the stage. Solo act/monologue for more than an hour -- she held the audience captive with her mere presence onstage!

BRAVO!