Thursday, November 13, 2014

Sunflower watching


"Oh my, oh my!" is the exclamation that repeats itself in a children's book that The Wee One is besotted with, Kate Toms' There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly. I feel like echoing it, saying it over and over like a chant--"Oh my oh my oh my oh my!!!" Only because the sunflowers have sprouted in the crevices, on the sides of hills, any spot that still remains uninhabited or, to be more accurate, not yet built on in my adopted city. Whether admired singly or in clumps, the sight of the wild, native flora can gladden any woebegone heart.

Baguio has been called the City of Fumes by those dismayed at its over-development. This is where I say, "Come watch the sunny flowers with me. Watch how they drive away the fog from your soul."



No comments: