Saturday, May 9, 2015

Heaven must be missing an angel

Distracted by the caw of birds on a tree somewhere at Camp John Hay's playground

It's that old song from the disco decade of the'70s that spins in my head when it's playground time with the not so Wee One. She has been going through a tremendous growth spurt this summer after she turned four. Her toddler-length pajamas now look like capris when she goes out to play.

This granny goose wants to tell her, "Please don't rush into childhood full throttle. Live some baby-like things for me to enjoy." But Father Time can't be stopped.

Last year, the slide was something she'd just climb and once on top, she'd gaze down, doubt and fear commingling on her face. These days, she doesn't use the ladder to get up anymore but hauls herself counter-flow style. Her grip on the slide's rails are firm, and she doesn't ask for assistance. Now and then, she goes through a bump on the slide and when she hits bottom, she stands up, wipes her behind and says, "That was ouchy!" Then repeats the cycle.
Shakespeare was right: "And though she be but little, she is fierce."

I have this bookmark given by a Brahma Kumaris follower. On one side is a quotation that reads: "An angel's face is still because there are no lies inside. Truth makes it a straight, simple face whose beauty lies not in its form but in the feeling it gives you."

I sound too serious quoting that line. Better return to disco mode:

Heaven must be missin' an angel
Missin' one angel child
'Cause you're here with me right now
(your love is heavenly, baby)
(heavenly to me, baby)...

There's a rainbow over my shoulder (ooh, ooh)
When you came, my cup runneth over (ooh, ooh)
You gave me your heavenly love
And if one night you hear crying from above
It's 'cause heaven must be missin' an angel
Missin, one angel child
'Cause you're here with me right now


Rough landing, you can tell from the grimace on her face Photos by Booboo Babeth

No comments: