Friday, December 21, 2018

Chicken potato salad time

Photo from the World Wide Web

It's that time of the year again when I put on an apron and transform overnight into the Lady of the Kitchen.

Friends and family know that I don't cook by choice. I don't keep house even if I'm a stay-at-home wife, mother and grandmother. I do everything (read, write, doodle, paint, daydream, arrange the bookshelves), except go to the grocery or market, check the pantry, cook, launder (with great reluctance), etc.

My housemates have come to accept this side of me. But during Christmastime, I announce to them that I take over the kitchen for the preparation of the special chicken potato salad that I learned from my mother and the longganisa spaghetti that I learned by ear.

The recipe is special because it isn't written down. I just learned it from watching Mommy and eating the salad every Yuletide season since I was this small.

Recently, friend Gou de Jesus asked me how to do it. Ok, let's start with a kilo of Baguio potatoes and cover them with salted water. Boil for 30 minutes until potatoes are tender. In a separate pan, boil two chicken breasts, again in salted water because that's all the salt you'll put in the salad.

After the potatoes have cooled, peel off the covers. Cube the potatoes. Set aside. Shred flesh of boiled chicken breasts. Do not include the skin--give it to Boots (our pet dog).

Meanwhile, chop celery stalks into tiny bits. The celery is needed for that added crunch.

After both chicken and potatoes have all cooled down, mix them with the celery pieces and add a jar-full of pickle relish. Mix in another jar of mayonaisse, then mix well with a spatula or one of those Baguio-made wooden spoons.

Best paired with fried dishes like pork chops, Canto ribs, homemade fried chicken (oy! hindi nako magluluto nun, ah!!!) or anything savory like Pablo Mariano Molina's beef rendang. As midnight snack, Mommy's chicken potato salad hits the spot. Ask Frank Cimatu, her best endorser. He also loves her morcon!

Season with joy, peace, prosperity.

Chill. Play a lot of Mozart while working on this work of love.

No comments: