Monday, April 20, 2020

Self-care despite COVID-19


My head of black, white and gray hair looks like a nest fit for birds. Any day now when I step out into the garden for my few minutes of sun, I can half expect a mother sparrow to relocate her hungry chicks on top of my head. The image makes me chuckle inside, especially after I saw this illustration by Arli Pagaduan posted by Ang Ilustrador ng Kabataan.

Among the first things I will do after April 30, that is, if the enhanced community quarantine isn't extended again, is to get a haircut, a short, summery one, with my stylist, a flamboyant gay named Ruby. I entrust my head of hair to him/her alone and nobody else.

My sisters have been volunteering to trim my hair and lessen the volume (thus lessening the body heat I feel inside), but I've stubbornly refused their offer. Baka madisgrasya pa, and Ruby will be left to do major damage control.

Allow me this bit of vanity even in the midst of a worldwide pandemic. I found an old hairband, probably belonging to my late mother, and I've used it to tame my hair, push back the unruly bangs that threaten to cover my eyes as I stoop over this keyboard to finish my entry to the #LockdownDiaries series.

I'm sure many others have their own to-do list after the lockdown is lifted. A lot will be going to salons, I betcha, to get that overall feeling of well-being again. I dare not work on my cuticles myself--I'll leave that to the manicurist who's going to get a generous tip from yours truly. No, I'm not getting a facial--am not into that yet. I'm your basic scrub-your-face-with-soap-and-water type. But a radical haircut does sound good. That is enough.

No comments: