Monday, May 16, 2011

One Baptism and Two Wakes

Sunday, May 15, -- yesterday once more -- was fully dedicated to family in this Auntie Social's life (thanks pal Gou for the term). My assignment: bring the Green Daisy tablea chocolate cake, flour-less and with no preservatives, to Kai Mykonos L. Fernandez's baptism into the Roman Catholic religion.
I skipped the rites, the way I'm wont to do in the noontime of my life, but I stayed for lunch to be around family mostly. When things got too hot (38 degrees even in the shade), I slid a disc of a black and white Audrey Hepburn movie, "Love in the Afternoon," just to watch the star and my heart-throb Gary Cooper, in the family DVD player.

I never got to finish the movie because by then the sun was setting, it was starting to cool, and the white-haired grump in my life, who's growing his hair (I have visions of a pony-tailed Wowo pushing a pram down Session Road in the months to come), demanded that I shower and dress up to accompany him to two wakes. How can I say no when the spirits of Chit Estella and Atty. Marcelo Fernando hovered on both shoulders of Wowo?
Earlier, there was a chance to play with the first grandchild Butones who can recognize colors, hold her head up, listen well when her babushka sings "What a Wonderful World," "Time After Time," Fallen", even the school hymn of St. Paul College.
And because the breastfeeding mother of Butones declared weeks earlier that we would have that four generations photo, finally, once her daughter was baptized, we posed before the camera of another auntie, Ruth, on the steps of our 36-year-old split-level bungalow for a personally historical shot.



Meanwhile, Chit and Atty. Elo, you can leave in peace, all is bright, all is calm, at least in this blogger's part of ze world. Adieu!

Source of photo of journalist Chit Estella: Vera Files

Source of photo of Marcelo N. Fernando bust by Julie Lluch: www.manilaartblogger.wordpress.com

Source of photo of Gary Cooper and Audrey Hepburn in "Love in the Afternoon": www.flixster.com

No comments: