Thursday, October 29, 2015

'Collectibles' from Joy B

"I love writers who paint. To me, their works are collectibles."

Coming from Tony Perez, creative writer, playwright, poet, lyricist, painter, author of Tatlong Paglalakbay trilogy (Bombita, Biyaheng Timog and Sa North Diversion Road), Oktubre, Noong Tayo'y Nagmamahalan Pa, Noong Akala Mo'y Mahal Kita, among other titles, that's as good as a validation as any. He posted the comment after I shared a family photo showing Rolly, Kimi, Ida and myself in a rare moment together at the opening of my first solo show of paintings at Gallery Nine back in 2006 or "07.

By that time I was in the thick of Fine Arts studies and was taking art tutorials under Norman Chow at the same time. And painting was indeed a reason to live.

Recently, PR girl-art collector Joy Buensalido emailed me photos of works of mine in her collection. The thing with old works when you view them after a span of time and space is they never cease to amaze. I end up half chuckling while I tell and congratulate myself, "Did you really do that? You're not so bad, my friend!"

"Apples in Space," acrylic on canvas

"Landscape," acrylic on canvas From the collection of Joy Buensalido

No comments: