Tuesday, January 29, 2019

3 birthdays in 1 day

Ate Raya and her kid bro Dakila

Girlie Sarabia with a whole cake to herself

The blogger Jennie Moraitis likes to encourage followers to "find magic in little things."

This past Sunday I was looking for those little things that would restore me. I found one in a joint birthday celebration of Dakila and Raya, children of Sinag De Leon, all born in January, and of Girlie Francisco Sarabia.

Daki and Raya's nana (lola) Anna Leah Sarabia and Sinag chose Pigar X Pigar on the Sikatuna Village side of Maginhawa Street in Quezon City as venue for the get-together. With us also were Kaya, outfitted like a Parisian girl complete with black beret, and her mom Leonor Mae Tomelden-de Leon.

I've always liked attending children's, rather than grown-ups', birthday celebration. Food and chat are so uncomplicated.

Reminded me of Rickee Baluyut's birthday celebration some years ago when he was just a boy in his family's former Mandaluyong home. His pop Alex Baluyut prepared an unforgettable chili con carne (there were other dishes but the chili continues to stand out in my memory).

When I heard we were gonna eat at a pigar-pigar place, the first of its kind in Manila according to the owners, I was thrown back to a public market in Dagupan, Pangasinan, where husband Rolly Fernandez took me to try it. The meat was tough and chewy. The initiation was memorable because of the meat's toughness.

On this latest pigar-pigar tasting, I was anxious that I would have to grind the meat hard before I could swallow it. My brittle teeth might not be up to the task. I was proven wrong

The pigar-pigar made from carabeef was so tender; what was more, the meat came sauteed with onions and lots of cabbage. Although most of Anna's family members are pescarians or vegetarians, they sampled the meat dish. Girlie, a pianist, hummed softly, sounding pleased.

Pigar-pigar with sliced onions and cabbage

Binagoongang rice

Grilled bangus

Steamed okra

Pinakbet of Pangasinan comes with camote.

Pinakbet of Pangasinan comes with camote.

The serving plate was wiped clean; the same went for the plates of binagoongang rice, steamed okra, grilled bangus and that staple of the North, pinakbet. What made this Pangasinan pakbet different from what I've sampled was the chunks of white camote in it.

The management knew there were three birthday celebrators in our group and brought out patupat (another Northern delicacy) but served a la mode!

As I took shots of our meal, Sinag suggested I make future still life painting subjects out of them. Sige, Sinag, thanks!

So pleasured was I that I thought of suggesting to my family in Baguio that we sample Pangasinan food again but in situ. A way of escaping the Panagbenga crowd. With the good roads going up and down Baguio, this may be a capital idea that can turn a day into something magical.

Happy birthday again, Girlie, Dakila and Raya!

No comments: