Thursday, July 25, 2013

Today's lesson for all time: Pay attention

I always like to remind the high school kids I work with that a great part of our duties as budding writers/journalists (yep, I still consider myself in the developing stage) involves paying attention: focusing attention on, listening well to what another person is saying so we can get our data right and watching closely what is going on around.

Today I saw this image while on my way to the Google Translate service (I wanted some Scandinavian blogger's words translated into English). After my purpose was met, I returned to the image and tried to see what it meant.
It is Rosalind Franklin's 93rd birthday today. Wikipedia offers this basic info about her: "Rosalind Elsie Franklin was a British biophysicist and X-ray crystallographer who made critical contributions to the understanding of the fine molecular structures of DNA, RNA, viruses, coal, and graphite."

Franklin's image from scienceblogs.com

I was struck by the ingenious design of the Google.com logo. No wonder one of my young friends' dream job is to work at Google's headquarters in California where the work ethos involves a lot of play.

I once saw a documentary about how the employees there are fed. The cafeteria makes a conscious effort to source their supplies from local farmers and other food producers. I was bowled over--how a global company that can afford to just bring in the top franchises (McDonald's or Starbucks) has taken the harder but healthier route for the greater good. So what is served is always fresh, the local economy is sustained, and everybody returns to the work-play station full, their minds ready to soar again.

Happy birthday, Ms. Franklin, and thank you, Google, for reminding us of her significant contributions to humankind.

No comments: