Tuesday, July 16, 2013

We are family even though some members aren't with me

The house is unusually quiet, almost empty, except for Mom, me, the help and two sleeping dogs. Four siblings, two daughters, a nephew and a niece left for Boracay before dawn. My grandchild is with the other set of grandparents in Taguig and will not be back till evening.

So the silence and isolation do not feel like they're a physical pain, I've volunteered to be Mom's secretary for the day. Responsibilities involve answering her Facebook correspondence and uploading family photos for her. Every time there's a comment or a "Like," she dictates her reply/reaction.

It's a far cry from the day my balikbayan brother arrived with his family when everyone was talking at the same time and wanting to be heard.

Consider this a pause. When the clan returns and resumes where we left off at the end of the week, I will miss the rare silence. Meanwhile, I'm allowing myself the pleasure of looking at these dear ones' faces that underscore how absence makes the heart wonder!

Almost complete and happy to be together
It's easy to coax a smile from cousins Machiko and Kai when they know they're off for a ride away from the home's confines.         Photos by Babeth Lolarga

No comments: