Saturday, September 14, 2013

On a Saturday while waiting for the taho vendor

The blood chem results from the last test showed that my uric acid is high, and I am to avoid soy products, lentils, among many things a foodie loves. I've managed to stay away from sardines, too, but not from this weekly treat--a tall glass of taho. I tell the vendor to just ladle a small scoop of caramel liquid whose marbling effect I love to gaze at before I store the glass in the fridge to cool. I transfer it to the freezer and have the thing for lunch on those special days. A meal in itself for just 20 pesos.
My family is loyal to just one taho vendor, and he has been our suki since my girls were this tall. When he first saw my apo, he exclaimed, "Carbon copy ni Kimi!" Whereupon he added more sago to her glass of taho.    Photos by Babeth Lolarga

No comments: