Saturday, June 12, 2021

Drawing blood

Rolly and I fasted for eight to nine hours last night in preparation for our bi-annual blood works (ideally, it should be quarterly, but with the pandemic still on an uncontrolled scale, we minimize our leaving the house). I told the medical technologist attending to us that it is hard to find a presenting vein on either of my arms. After three tries, she asked if I didn't mind if she drew blood from the back of my left hand which I closed into a fist. I nodded my permission and did not flinch when the needle went in.
Strawberry soda on the foreground
Tinapang bangus with egg and red rice
Spicy bangus with fried egg on a separate platito
Interiors of Cafe By The Ruins In my mind was where Rolly and I would eat a hearty breakfast after our procedure. I ticked off eateries that were open at past 7 a.m. He was determined we would eat at Cafe By The Ruins on Chuntug Street. We were the first customers. Somehow recognizing us, the waiter waved us in and didn't oblige us anymore to fill out the contact tracing forms. We grieved over the removal of the beef tapa from the menu. I think the meat comes all the way from Mt. Data. Or did I imagine that? Next best choice was the bangus--he chose the tinapang bangus with sunny side up egg while I had the spicy bangus with a well-done fried egg. Siempre, may strawberry soda rin for me, a lover of strawberries. Midway through our meal, dine-in guests, a group of tourists, we supposed, strode in in their holiday shorts and casual get-up. They numbered 12 in all, and I fretted on my seat about social distancing. But this protocol was observed. While I sipped my coffee, he slipped out of the cafe and went to the public market nearby to buy our food supply: his favorite calf's liver for steak and hasa-hasa for paksiw. When we were on our way home, Rolly and I compared our bangus. I said mine wasn't spicy enough. It would have required me biting into the red and green chilies to taste the sting. He said his bangus lacked a smoky favor, but he cleaned up his plate, leaving only the skin of the fish. A good day to celebrate the nation's wobbly independence!

No comments: