Tuesday, June 29, 2021

My (almost) perfect adobo

My lansag buto adobo, all chicken drumsticks
Chili garlic sauce I never could get the dish right. Maybe because I don't measure the amount of soy sauce and vinegar I put in. Yesterday I thawed the chicken drumsticks from the freezer, then put in equal amounts soy and cane vinegar, minced garlic and chopped black pepper. For good measure, I added a dash of Worcestershire sauce. Still I refrained from using a measuring cup or spoon for them. I left the drumsticks to bathe in that marinade for 45 minutes before firing up the stove. I let the whole thing in the pot simmer slowly for another 45 minutes while I read the chapter on adobo in that sumptuous, must-have-on-your-kitchen-shelf book Memories of Philippine Kitchen by Amy Besa and Romeo Dorotan. (We got our signed copy from them when we visited and lunched at their New York restaurant in the late 2000s.) I waited for the sauce to render, but since the man of the house Rolly was famished from a day's work in the garden and the house, I set out to serve the adobo with steaming rice. Midway while setting the table, I forgot to boil two eggs as extenders. I've always felt boiled eggs and adobo go well together, not potatoes and adobo. I brought out the chili garlic sauce with a punch made for us by photographer friend Ev Espiritu, and lunch was ready. Or "reydi" as Rolly would say it. Others would pair their adobo with some mango chutney, but Ev's sauce gave the whole thing its needed kick. I hope you all have a good Tuesday with good food to energize your creative endeavors!

No comments: