Wednesday, August 20, 2014

It will come to me again

Detail from Leonard Aguinaldo's "Blog Entry No. 7," mixed media collage, 2013. Recently exhibited at the Indigo Gallery of Bencab Museum on Asin Road, Benguet. Photo by Babeth Lolarga

"Pay attention to poetry. Pay attention to music. Pay attention to paintings and sculptures and photo exhibits and ballets and plays. Why? Because art is God's way of saying hello. Your world is shouting out to you, revealing something intrinsically glorious about itself. Listen carefully. Love art, the way art loves life. Don't let all this go unnoticed." - quote attributed to Neale Donald Walsch

My college classmates and I learned in the editing class of Prof. Raul R. Ingles how the serif font Times Roman is the preferred one for newspapers. Today any serif font is also the norm for “long reads,” as essays and other forms of prose are now called. The human eye is used to reading serif fonts.

Sans serif fonts like the classic Helvetica, Optima, Courier, Arial or Trebuchet MS, the one that I’ve lately been using for my blog entries, are best used for short compositions. Optima is especially preferred for the text of compositions that have a ruminating or philosophical quality. I remember Optima well because art director Lynett Villariba chose it for Jerry Araos's book, The Garden of Two Dragons Fucking (Miratala Books, 1992).

Yes, I promised myself this would be short—just to keep the words flowing before I shift to another writing activity. I often have this thought in mind. It’s beginning to sound more like a declaration so God will heed and help me: that once I’m done with the reading of some books and the writing of my reviews of them, I will finish an unfinished painting I set aside last year. By completing it, I shall dabble with brushes and paints again. Ever heard of painter’s block? Well, I’ve been dealing with it in the aftermath of super typhoon Yolanda.

It’ll come back. I say it with some confidence because now and then I also feel bereavement when, as the song goes, “words don’t come easy.” That's when it's time to do other stuff.


Hello Wednesday—I didn’t forget to acknowledge your presence.

P.S. The title for today's blog entry is from that Mary Travers solo song of almost the same name: "It Will Come to You Again."

No comments: