Friday, February 21, 2014

Time to be silly happy

5. I wish that I had let myself be happier.

"This is a surprisingly common one. Many did not realise until the end that happiness is a choice. They had stayed stuck in old patterns and habits. The so-called 'comfort' of familiarity overflowed into their emotions, as well as their physical lives. Fear of change had them pretending to others, and to their selves, that they were content, when deep within, they longed to laugh properly and have silliness in their life again."

What's your greatest regret so far, and what will you set out to achieve or change before you die?
- from Susie Steiner's article "Top five regrets of the dying" from www.theguardian.com

It's one of those things to remember as I respond to hillside family duties--to allow room for joy apart from fulfilling a list of must-do's.

I only have to look at the youngest family member's great attitude towards each morning she wakes to. Then I realize how curiosity about the world and an attitude of openness to whatever often lead to most welcome silliness, quickly followed by laughing times. Refreshing breaks, indeed. Leaves me sufficiently recharged. Meanwhile, the storage space in that inner room expands.

Welcome, Weekend! You're better than five working days of shoulda, coulda, woulda. Butones and I decided to advance you by a day.

It's a gift, a grace just to waken to another morning like this with the button of my life for company. Photo by Babeth Lolarga

No comments: