Thursday, February 12, 2015

At the foot of the Carillon

"Teach me, and I will be quiet; show me where I have been wrong." -Job 6:24

My Carillon

This is the time when the arts are celebrated. You find your February calendar filling up so fast, and the choices are so many, the schedules conflicting, thereby cancelling one another out. But I dedicated the first Sunday of February to the Carillon, especially when I learned that there was a concert series at the plaza area fronting the bells.

I always look forward to visiting the Diliman campus. And the Carillon bells are special to me--their sound brings back memories of my afternoons as a journalism major when I'd hurry from Palma Hall (or AS as we called it, short for Arts and Sciences) to get to the then Institute of Mass Communication. The bells would be playing something soothing while I walked in a rush because I didn't want to be marked late by the teacher. Soothing like "The Long and Winding Road." Whenever I hear that song, I remember a young me making that walk.

And so it was with a nostalgic heart that I returned to the Carillon to find out more about acoustic music as played by some UP students, mostly music majors from the neighboring College of Music.

Charming ukulele player and vocalist

Because they also do covers of bossa nova and other bands' hits apart from composing their own songs, Mana Band members call themselves a "hindi" band--neither here nor there.

Oh Flamingo heats up the evening.

The duo I appreciated most was the all-girl Lullaband who sang pop music while dressed in their tees and shorts. It was an outdoor concert, after all. They did covers of the Beegees' "How Deep Is Your Love" from the movie Saturday Night Fever (another hit from my generation), "The Way You Look Tonight," "I Will," Fleet Foxes' "White Winter" which sounded like a rondo and River Maya's "Bye Bye Na."

There were other indie bands featured with such odd names like Mana Band and Oh Flamingo. But nothing charmed me more than those two girls. One strummed the ukulele, the other tried to get a rise from the audience, even reading her codigo from her left palm. Atta Lullaband!

It was a lovely way to spend an evening.

Here I am looking serene on a Sunday and looking forward to the acoustic series. Thanks for capturing my mood, Sister Suzy. Photos by Babeth and Suzy Lolarga

No comments: