Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Still on the subject of mothering nature

The initial painting I posted on this space, "Homage to Anita and Jerry," got so much positive feedback that the expressions of support from truest friends and relatives have pushed me to keep at it.

Today, one of my former editors wrote in a private message, "Like them flowers, firm and cheery, certainly better disposed than the painter these days. Paint – don't pain – on!" Another friend, a professor at the Philippine Women's University, also wrote: "Beautiful work, Babeth, you seem happy." I had to assure them both that I was, I am, truly happy and very much at peace with myself and the world, and that holding the brush and playing with paint again feels like a grandmother's desire to see and hold a much-missed grandchild (sabik na sabik).

Tomorrow I meet with my two co-exhibitors, both women, and map out our summer plans now that we've all retired to our little spaces to work on our songs of praise to Mother N. 

Below are two are works in progress (i.e., unfinished) in preparation for a summer show somewhere in the asphalt and concrete thickets of Quezon City.

"Linda is Lost in Giverny", acrylic on canvas, 16"x 20"

"Clouds' Illusions I Recall", acrylic on canvas, 18" x 24"