Saturday, July 14, 2012

Maita Gomez, party organizer in many ways

In late June, I emailed, or more precisely, forwarded photos of the last WOMB (Women for the Ouster of Marcos and Boycott) reunion party held at Baboo Mondoñedo's condo unit in Greenhills, San Juan City, to some members who were in my contact list.  (I was freeing up space in my email account.)

Laida Lim emailed back to acknowledge and ask, wasn't it time to organize another reunion? I left her note unanswered. I had gotten too busy preparing for the three classes I teach twice a week to entertain thoughts of a party. Besides, Gigi Dueñas de Beaupre, the honoree of that particular party, was in the Caribbean, and another active member and good party organizer, Joji Ravina-Lourence, was in Australia.

I think Laida has a clairvoyant's gift. If I had a not-too-heavy ass, I would've gotten things or helped get things moving, and we'd all have enjoyed Maita Gomez's company.

In that last reunion, Maita was so organized and efficient that she sent out very practical instructions like to declare what foodstuff we would bring to the luncheon party to prevent duplication, to allow the women entrepreneurs, artists and crafts women in the group to sell their works for additional income (my small acrylics and watercolors sold out at giveaway prices), to have all the leftover food bagged and brought home by the party-goers who were the last to leave, etc. And everyone complied.

Baboo texted two days ago to ask if there would be a WOMB tribute for Maita. I could only pass on her query to Olive Tripon who has the organization's directory.

I re-print photos taken by Anna Leah Sarabia from that August 2009 party that originally came out in the Philippine Daily Inquirer. It now seems uncanny that the title I gave that report was "From womb to tomb, these women will always be with us." Happy trails, Maita!

Carving the roast turkey cooked in Baboo's oven
Gigi, Gilda Cordero Fernando and Maita
Anna Leah describes the women in this photo as "survivors of a marathon buffet." Maita is in yellow, seated fourth from right.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Babeth,
Thank you for the photos and Inquirer article about our WOMB reunion. I passed on my directory to Cierlene and Vikki as they are planning for a WOMB tribute for Maita very soon.
Love,
Joji