Sunday, July 29, 2012

Who's that other girl?

Yesterday I sat through four hours of the televised opening of the London Olympics, moved many times but especially when the Peter Pan tableau was presented. Only because it made me remember my father who took me to watch the Disney cartoon at the old, now demolished, Republic Theater in Manila.

That same evening, I gazed up from the grilled windows of the family house in Sampaloc, Manila, and wondered which star represented Neverland. For many nights after, I felt like Wendy looking up and trying to pick out the "second star to the right and straight on till morning." Even at age six or seven, I felt strongly the urge to escape.
Going through the shelves for something that may interest her while Dora sits by idly
When in Baguio for visits, this Booboo tries to be unobtrusive with the digicam so I can document the moves of growing Butones. She seems my opposite in my youthful desire to flee my earthly station.

She looks over and under, sideways and up for something to occupy her time. I imagine her to be like her new companion, an explorer. I hope she never loses her sense of wonder and the compulsion to discover.
Frisbee? Maybe in two, three more years, Butones, you can toss it and Grumpa will catch.
"Mi amiga, donde has estado? Vamos a jugar!"
Photos by Booboo

1 comment:

Eileen G. Lolarga said...

That's a sight for sore eyes, your very own apo ever curious and learning about life every moment. I guess that should be catching...to jaded eyes...a renewed wonder at what life is all about...Take care Babeth :)


Eileen (the cousin)