Thursday, March 7, 2013

Paper, pen, ink, VOS and the art of the doodle

If I can do half as good a pen-and-ink portrait the way my former editor, Vergel O. Santos, does, I think I don't have to force myself to learn how to cook and I can live on serviette art for the rest of my days. Sorry I can't use the word "napkin" even if I attach the descriptive "paper" before it.

Someone said the reason people look glum in their portraits is it's hard to hold a smile. Although I wasn't posing formally for a sketch, in the strict sense of the word, the doodler captured the surly girl in me. My partner would rather use the word "mischievous."
That's Pablo Tariman, the music reviewer and impresario reborn, on the left; it doesn't quite capture his milky and white disposition that day.
VOS drew from memory his former colleagues at Manila Chronicle: Amando Doronila and Rolly Fernandez. If this were my work, I'd call it, "Seriously, guys" or "Two serious guys and a typewriter."
To complete the cast of characters who had a laugh-out-loud lunch on People Power Day (it fell on same day as the Oscar awards ceremonies, but the lunch was repeatedly postponed so it had to go through) at the mother branch of Milky Way on Pasay Road, Makati (clockwise): VOS, his wife Chit Roces, Pablo and the matron with the downturned lips. Can't wait for VOS to finally mount a solo show.

No comments: