Monday, December 17, 2012

Mah bibi's comin home

When it's jazz time at Green Valley, I life to put on Nina Simone's version of "My Baby Just Cares for Me." When I sing it in my head, I think of she who had been our baby for quite sometime before Kai/Butones arrived to bring this mama/grand-mama more joy and love.

So here's to you, Ida, a preschool teacher in a neighboring country, who is flying along with thousands and thousands of overseas Filipino workers to be home for Christmas. Ilang tulog na lang.
Ida is beginning to look a lot like her pupils. Photo grabbed by Tita Su from her FB acount

Nanay Babeth has taken liberties with this Gus Kahn-Walter Donaldson song to make it more appropriate for our moment in this time:

My baby don't care for Crocs
My baby don't care for frocks
My baby just cares for me
My baby don't care for cars and races
My baby don't care for sleazy places

Liz Taylor is not her style
And even Lana Turner's smile
Is somethin' she can't see
My baby don't care who knows
My baby just cares for me

My baby don't care for slime
And she don't even care for grime
She cares for me
My baby don't care
For cars and races
My baby don't care for
She don't care for sleazy places

Liz Taylor is not her style
And even Liberace's smile
Is something she can't see
Is something she can't see
I wonder what's wrong with baby
My baby just cares for
My baby just cares for
My baby just cares for me


Come home to Tatay, Nanay, Kimi and Kai, Lola Mommy, Tito Dennis, Ta Su, Ta Gi, Ta Wut, Tito Kwenk and the ever-expanding, ever-loving group that is known as family.

No comments: